Test the drawer for proper operation and make adjustments as necessary. If your closet didn’t come with built-in wooden shelves, drawers, and cabinets, this will be part of your project https://remotemode.net/ of turning the closet into a functional office. A large closet can also have the bonus of natural lighting, perfect for a bright, cheery area instead of a closed storage feel.
If you’re going to be working in an office, you’ll want to make sure that your equipment and employees have adequate room. The same goes for clients, visitors, and guests–all of whom will need enough room in order to be comfortable. If your closet is small, it’s important to keep it organized so you can easily find what you need and put things away. A good way to do this is by using an organizer that hangs from the door of your closet. Closet offices offer a unique way to make the most out of any situation. One of the first things to do before turning a closet into an office at home is to measure the space you have.
Leave Space to Push In Your Chair
Nevertheless, for a genuinely well-lit closet office, you might have to call an electrician to add light fixtures and outlets to your brand new work zone. Recessed lamps can bring a remarkable degree of illumination to small work areas and look great with almost any decor type. When you rent your apartment or home, use battery-powered lights that could be mounted on the wall or shelf with double sided tape.
- “We have some special Italian books from family overseas, so it is nice to have a spot to display them,” she says.
- It’s the perfect spot to arrange books, keeping them accessible yet off of your workspace.
- This design by Tazz Lighting features a closet-turned-office that incorporates a custom-built desk and shelving, as well as a cozy reading nook.
- Whatever your requirements, the chances are you want a home office, whether it is like an ample space, a nook, or a pull-out shelf, that is up to you.
Open closet doors and find a desk that fits perfectly into the allotted space. Cut a foam mattress pad to fit the size of the closet floor. Toss in some pillows, line shelves with books, and create soft lighting. Just because you’re working out of a closet doesn’t mean that your new office space has to look like, well, a utility closet.
Put some drawers under the desk
Then, when it’s time to do a video call, you can hang up a backdrop or curtain and no one will be the wiser. If you’re lucky enough to have a closet with a window (like the one from The Spruce’s article above), get the most out of it by placing your desk in front of it. Not only does this give you a good view while you work, but it introduces light to your face. You’ll want to put soft curtains or even blinds on the window to keep it from glaring, but this can help you look great on video calls. If you want to make your office closet blend well with the rest of your home, consider a sliding door. This gives your office a more permanent, professional look compared to curtains or accordion doors, but it still gives you a way to hide your work at the end of the day.
- Closets aren’t particularly known to be bright nor do they usually get a lot of natural light.
- You’ll be spending a lot of your time working there, after all.
- So, before you can get started on your closet into office transformation, you need to think about what kind of office you plan on ending up with.
- This tests theory against practice and makes everything fit in like puzzles in your head.
Next, you need to take measurements of the office tools and supplies you often use that you would have to fit into the space. You can cut paper templates out or measure outer edges with a pencil just so that you have visual markers of where you need to be. You need to measure the width, the height, as well as the depth for your targeted closet that you’d want to eventually turn into some sort of closet space. Depending on the type of closet you have, there’s a pretty good chance that the depth doesn’t go any deeper than the width of a hanger. There are three very sturdy shelves above that will hold so many files, papers, books and more.
Create a Cloffice in Your Home
Slide the shelf brackets into the slots in the standards, and gently tap them down with a hammer to secure them. Not only does this seemingly normal closet open up to reveal an office, but it also hides a bold pop of color in an otherwise neutral room. The brilliant shade makes the cloffice feel like its own individual space, helping to set it apart from the rest of the room—and it doesn’t hurt that it’s incredibly fun, either. Your chair can make or break your office, and we think this blogger has the right idea with her plush pink seat. It looks incredibly comfy, and it also provides a fun pop of color against the cloffice’s neutral color palette. You can get all the deets on her setup (including how she made that pretty herringbone wall design!) over on her blog.
By doubling the number of clothing, you can hang on a single hanger. Just pop the tab off of the can https://remotemode.net/blog/tips-for-converting-your-closet-to-a-cozy-office/ and slip it around the hanger’s hook. You can then slip one more hanger through the gap in the tab.
If you didn’t want see the cords you could use puck lights. Because I was adding an office to this room I also had to downsize my craft supplies. I sold a bunch of stuff for a set price in order to get them out of the house quickly. This was the perfect opportunity to declutter and reorganize. Pretty design elements paired with smart storage solutions make this small nook feel like a full-fledged room.
- Just make sure you leave enough legroom so you can still stretch out.
- I went super minimal with my project, but you can go as crazy as you want with custom buildouts and decor.
- Read more about our guide on the different types of lighting fixtures here.
- When you think about it, a closet this size is about as big as a normal desk space.
- Depending on the kind of cloffice you opt for, it can also become a part of your room’s decor.
- If you have a guest bedroom that seldom gets used, updating the closet into an office environment turns it right into a dual-purpose space.
- Whether you’re in a tiny apartment with only a narrow closet or maybe an older home where closets have been used to add equipment and awkward ducts, you may need a custom solution.